1. Do I need a permit to burn limbs, have a cookout, or have a bonfire on my property?
  Yes, in accordance with the Fire Code, open burning does require a permit issued by the fire department. The permit allows open burning for cookouts, campfires, bonfires, cooking, warming fires, and land clearing fires when an air curtain destructor is used. Disposal of rubbish, yard waste, fallen leaves, limbs, and construction debris by burning is strictly prohibited. This prohibition also applies to burning of tires, vinyl products, fiberglass/asphalt shingles, Styrofoam products, and plastic products. The permit lists general requirements and specific requirements that the applicant must adhere to. Failure to comply with the provisions of the permit shall be punishable by the penalties prescribed by law. Open burning permits issued by the fire department are fee of charge.
2. Does the City of Shelbyville Parks Department reserve pavilions at any of the City park facilities?
  Yes. The city of Shelbyville Parks Department has three pavilions at H.V. Griffin Park located at 220 Tulip Tree Drive that have to be reserved. The Aubrey Lewis Pavilion including grill holds up to 200 people and the cost of rental is $50 per day. The Shelbyville Lions Club pavilion including grill holds up to 100 people and the cost of rental is $50 per day. The Sam Smith pavilion including grill holds up to 100 people and the cost of rental is $30 per day. The two Pavilions at Never Rest Park located at 598 Lewis Ave have to be reserved. The cost of rental is $20 per day and the two pavilions share a grill. The pavilion located at Purdy Court Park located at 200 Jessica Lane is available for rental at a cost of $20 per day. The pavilions are available for rental from Mid-March through Mid-November. Absolutely NO alcoholic beverages are allowed at any time in any of the parks located in Shelbyville. For additional information concerning reservations, please contact the Parks Administrative Office at (931) 684-9780. Hours are Monday-Friday 5:30am to 8:00pm, Saturday 8:00am to 7:00pm and Sunday 1:00pm to 6:00pm.


Is there a city-wide curfew for minors?
  Yes. Pursuant to Municipal Code , it is unlawful for anyone under 18 to remain in or upon any public place within the city during period ending 5:00 AM and beginning 11:00 PM Sunday through Thursday, and during period ending 5:00 AM and beginning 12 midnight Friday and Saturday.


What are City Holidays and when are City offices closed?

New Years Day (offices closed)
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (offices closed)
  • Presidents Day (offices closed)
  • Good Friday (offices closed)
  • Memorial Day (offices closed)
  • Independence Day (offices closed)
  • Labor Day (offices closed)
  • Thanksgiving Day (offices closed Thursday & Friday)
  • Christmas Eve and Christmas Day(offices closed)

Normal office hours are from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM Monday through Friday


What types of recreational services does the City of Shelbyville provide
  Shelbyville Parks & Recreation Department provides the following Athletic Leagues; Bedford County Youth Baseball (TYBA & Babe Ruth), HGYSL (Hillard Gardner Youth Softball), Adult Softball, Shelbyville Youth Basketball, Shelbyville Youth Soccer, Shelbyville Youth Football & Cheerleading League. H.V. Griffin Park, located at 220 Tulip Tree Drive, provides the following recreational services and activities; Skateboard ramps, two outdoor basketball courts, two horseshoe pits, 2 outdoor sand volleyball courts, outdoor swimming pool, Celebration Station Playground area, 4 batting cages, 6 tennis courts, soccer fields, 18-hole Disc Golf course and a 1 mile paved walking trail.

The Shelbyville Recreation Center offers an Olympic-size Indoor Swimming Pool, Gymnasium, Walking Track, Fitness Room, Aerobics Room and Racquetball/Wallyball Court. The Recreation Center offers special classes for all age groups including self-improvement classes, Arthritis Foundation approved classes (land & water), Water and Land Aerobics, Dance, Taekwondo, First Aid, CPR, AED Classes, Youth Summer Camp, Zumba etc. Yearly special events include a 4th of July Celebration, Haunted Woods, Christmas Lighting in the Park, and Blue Ribbon Angel Tree. For additional information, please contact the Shelbyville Recreation Center at (931) 684-9780. Hours are Monday-Friday 5:30am to 8:00pm, Saturday 8:00am to 7:00pm and Sunday 1:00pm to 6:00pm. 



Back to Top