The Fire Department monitors atmospheric conditions and determines on a daily basis whether leaf burning in the city limits is permissible. Burn Permits are issued for city limits of Shelbyville only. If you live outside the city limits please contact Forestry Department 877-350-2876 or Bedford County Fire Department 931-684-9223. For complaints about illegal burning, call 931-684-6241. Please remember, if no one answers the crew on duty is most likely on a call. Please leave a message.
1. YOU MAY ONLY BURN NATURAL, NON-MAN MADE PRODUCTS.
2. YOU MAY NOT BURN MORE THAN 3 CUBIC YARDS AT A TIME WITHOUT PRIOR INSPECTION AND APPROVAL FROM FIRE DEPARTMENT PERSONNEL
(FOR LARGE PILES PLEASE CALL 931-684-6241 TO SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION)
3. YOU MUST HAVE A WATER SOURCE CLOSE BY
4. YOU MUST STAY WITH THE FIRE WHILE IT IS BURNING
5. YOUR FIRE MUST BE COMPLETELY EXTINGUISHED BY 4:00 PM
6. YOU MAY NOT BEGIN BURNING UNTIL 9:00 AM